Wednesday, August 14, 2013

God as a Book Character

I have a personal relationship with the Lord. Growing up in a nearly agnostic home, I viewed God as a distant being. Whether He was real or not, He would never be an every day factor in my life.

Once I accepted Christ, I realized there's nothing distant about our relationship. I could give examples of supernatural occurrences that in my mind "prove" His existence. However, everyone must find their paths and follow their hearts.

The Fallen wasn't the first Christian book I wrote. I worked for years on another religious book. I was in an endless loop until I had the dream about Joaquin and Heidi. When I decided to write the book, I wanted to make God a character. Not a distant being, but someone tangible. The hunters are fallen angels. They once walked with God, so He should feel as real as they do.

In The Fallen, God makes an appearance at the end. Even when He's not on the page in a physical form, He's always leading the fallen angels. Never forcing them though.

Isn't this the point? God gives us options and allows us to choose. I view life as a series of endless forks in the roads where we must pick the path. The Lord always knows the path we'll take, but He wants it to be our choice.

The same goes for the hunters in Angelic Redemption. The Lord gives them choices. Sometimes, they choose poorly. Just like we do in our lives. When the hunters follow God's signs and make faithful choices, they are one step closer to redemption.


In later books, as the hunters remember who and what they are, the Lord will make other appearances. My goal is for Him to feel as real as Lila and Joaquin. I never want him to feel like an indifferent creator, but as a part of the plot.


The Lord is guiding them as He does us in life. We can choose to follow or we can take a different path. Free will allows us and the fallen to find our ways. Yet, God is always with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment